Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Forced Sunrise *

"His splendor was like the sunrise;

rays flashed from His hand

where His power was hidden"

Habakkuk 3:4



I was forced to see the sunrise this morning.  I rarely see a sunrise unless I am forced.  Not so much a morning person.  Maybe I should become a coffee drinker...

I am a big fan of sunsets, though.  No two are quite the same, and you never know what the dominant color will be.  And the view is sometimes entirely different from my front yard to my backyard.  I take a lot of pictures of a beautiful sunset, because I have the urge to capture it.  We only get one per day!

At any rate, I was up while it was still dark, to take the Apple of my Eye to the airport, and the drive home allowed me to appreciate the beauty of the sun coming up.  There were some clouds, too, which I love.  The sunlight plays games with them, and they add color and dimension to the painting.  So much more interesting than a cloudless sky, if you ask me!

And yet, if I had my way, I would have missed this sunrise.  I would have still been blissfully warm and cozy under the covers.  I choose to miss most sunrises, for that reason.  And it made me think about other aspects of my life that have been forced.  Things I would not have chosen, that God chose for me.  For instance, only having two children was not my choice.  My sweetie and I wanted four, but it was not to be.  And now, I wouldn't have it any other way.

There are struggles in my life that were not my choice, either.  Paths I was forced to walk, that God had chosen for me.  And I must admit, I saw beauty on those paths.  Trials have strengthened me, strengthened my marriage, and strengthened my children.  Those are things I could appreciate in the midst of the trial.  Then, when the trial is past, I can look back and have an even better perspective on what God was accomplishing.

I may be a little sleepy today, but I'll be able to think about that sunrise.  And I'm grateful for the reminder, once again, that while I may have plans in my heart, it is His purpose that prevails.  I pray I'll always remember to find the beauty in plans that weren't my idea.  And maybe, just maybe, tomorrow I'll choose the sunrise!

~ "Many are the plans in a man's heart,

        but the Lord's purpose will prevail." ~

Proverbs 19:21

~

* a LightExpectations classic post *

No comments:

Post a Comment