Saturday, May 26, 2012

God Bless You!

"fear the Lord your God
and serve Him"
Deuteronomy 6:13

You probably know that Solomon built the temple.  And you probably know that David had wanted to build a temple for God; for the ark of the covenant to reside in.  But do you know what God's response was to David when he decided he wanted to build a temple?  It's a wonderful story.  God's response to David was a response only God could have.

In chapter 7 of 2 Samuel, it occurred to David that he was living in a place of beauty and comfort, and that the ark of God resided in a tent.  He wanted to build a holy and beautiful sanctuary for God ~ but that's not what God wanted.  And God said "no" in the most beautiful way I think I've ever seen.

God said to Nathan, "Go and tell My servant David: 'Would you build a house for Me to dwell in?  I have 
not dwelt in a house since I brought the children of Israel up from Egypt, but have moved about in a tent and in a tabernacle.... Have I ever spoken a word to anyone, saying, "Why have you not built Me a house of cedar?" ' "

Those are verses 5-7.  But then look at the direction God takes:  "Thus says the Lord of hosts: 'I took you from the sheepfold, to be ruler over My people.  I have been with you wherever you have gone, and have cut off all your enemies from before you, and have made you a great name...' "

He was saying to David, gently and lovingly, "I have not asked for a house.  I have never asked for a house.  I have simply been taking care of you."

That is what He had done.

This what He promised to do:  "I will plant My people where they may dwell, where they will not be oppressed.  And I will make you a house.  I will set your seed after you, and he shall build a house for me.  I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever... I will be his Father, and he shall be My son.  I will chasten him with the rods of men and with the blows of the sons of men, but My Spirit shall not depart from him.  And so your house, your kingdom and your throne shall be established forever."

These verses are important to each of us ~ as believers, and as Bible scholars.  This is the establishment of the Davidic Covenant, and it has been estimated that these verses are referred to over 40 times, elsewhere in Scripture.  These promises of God would be fulfilled through David's line ~ in Solomon ~ but the ultimate fulfillment is through Jesus Christ. 

But can you imagine how David felt as he listened to these words?  Have you ever felt as David must have felt then?  Have you ever wanted to bless someone, or offered to do something for them, and had them turn it into an opportunity to bless you?  Though David's intention was to bless God, God did not want that.  God wanted to bless David.

God's love is extreme and overwhelming, and no matter how you try to calculate it, you are underestimating His ability to bless you. 

So here's an illustration of His love for you:

The deepest point of the Pacific Ocean is the Marianas Trench.  Its depth is nearly seven miles.  The lowest part of the Marianas Trench is called the Challenger Deep.  The depth of the Challenger Deep is more than a mile greater than the height of Mount Everest.  If you dropped a steel ball into the Challenger Deep, it would take more than an hour for that ball to hit the bottom of the ocean.

Now, with that in mind, think about Micah 7:19 ~ "He will have compassion upon us, and He will cast our sins into the depth of the ocean."

He has made a covenant with us, though we will never achieve for Him what we might hope to.  You cannot love Him more than He loves you.  You cannot bless Him like He can bless you.  You cannot even serve Him without Him giving you the ability and opportunity.

Go ahead; try to bless Him.  And just watch what He does.

~ "Bless the Lord; 
never forget the good He has done for you" ~
Psalm 103:2

No comments:

Post a Comment