Thursday, February 2, 2012

Shall we dance?

"dance and be glad"
Jeremiah 31:13

I heard a new song recently, that intrigued me.  It's a Christian song, in contemporary style.  The lyrics were simple; about faith and relying on God.  But the song is called "Waltz in 3" and the tempo is that of a waltz, and that's what got me to thinking.

There are several Bible verses that talk about dancing as a form of worshiping God.  The first instance is in Exodus 15, in a passage called "Miriam's Song".  Moses' sister, Miriam, sings a song of celebration and praise to God for getting them across the Red Sea, and destroying Pharaoh's army behind them.  Verse 20 says she took a timbrel in her hand, and all the women went out with her, with timbrels and with dances.  They were joyous and celebratory, and that emotion was expressed through dance. 

Here are some other examples:

Ecclesiastes 3:4 "there is a time to mourn and a time to dance"

Psalm 149:3 "Let them praise His name in the dance"

Psalm 150:4 "Praise Him with tambourine and dancing"

So I've thought about dancing in that way.  But the title of this song gave me a visual of dancing with God.  I mean, not an actual visual, cuz I don't really know what He looks like.  But I love the idea of being in sync with Him.  Letting Him lead, and allowing myself to be guided through my life.  How beautiful, how graceful it could be, if I let Him choose the tempo of my life, and the rhythm in which I move through.

And if I listen carefully, I think I can hear the music.

~ "Sing and make music 
   from your heart to the Lord" ~
Ephesians 5:19

No comments:

Post a Comment